Named for bristle-headed Indians
Courthouse and Royal Oak Photo Fred Gonder
Photo Fred Gonder
Perth County courthouse
The present Perth County courthouse was built in 1886 but took two years to complete. It replaced the original courthouse, which had been built in 1853 north of the river, on William-Street land known as McCullough's Hill (see William Street). That was after Perth County separated from the Huron District in 1850.
The new courthouse was designed by London, Ont., architect George F. Durand , who also designed the jail, on St. Andrew Street, the original pumphouse (now Gallery Stratford) on Romeo Street North, and the city's first general hospital on the south side of John Street near the west end of Cambria Street.
Built in the Queen Anne Revival style, the building uses various architectural details including turrets, decorative chimneys, Italianate brackets and neoclassical features such as columns adorning the windows. There is a contrast of materials, colours and textures, and terra cotta details created by sculptor Henry Plasschaert of the United States. It also contains tile flooring, stained glass and other elegant appointments.
The new courthouse opened in 1887 during Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee (50th year as queen). During a party costing $500, electric lights in the courthouse were turned on. That was the year electricity became available in Stratford. The courthouse is one of the most photographed structures in Stratford. It's a landmark that can be seen from several kilometres when entering Stratford from the east, on Ontario Street. Sources: Stratford -Perth Archives. City of Stratford Website.
In 2023, the building dating from 1887 was made fully accessible at a cost of just more than one million dollars with the addition of a self-serve three-story elevator to accommodate county staff and both the Superior and provincial courts that operate there. Source: Stratford Beacon Herald, November 4, 2023.
Stone plaques that in front of the courthouse read :
* For more on the Court House see two excellent Flashback Articles:
The Birth of the New Court House, History of Perth County to 1967 by Hugh Johnston
1897: The Courthouse has always dominated both Huron and Ontario Streets.
1897. The Court House is seen in this photo at the head of Ontario Street. The photo was taken from the steeple of Knox Church at the corner of Ontario and Waterloo Streets in 1897 looking west along Ontario Street. The Court House and Huron Street Bridge built in 1885 are both clearly seen in the photo. The Gordon Block on the southwest corner of Downie and Ontario is visible as is the top of the clock tower on the Old Post Office opposite. Photo courtesy of Vince Gratton.
Shakespearean Gardens Photo Fred Gonder
The Shakespearean Gardens
Before the Shakespearean Gardens on Huron Street
Cleeve Horne and his bust of Shakespeare Stratford-Perth Archives
William Shakespeare bust
The Lych Gate
E. T. Dufton Woolen Mills
The E. T. Dufton Woolen Mills were where the Shakespearean Gardens are today.
The chimney was erected in 1910 by E. T. Dufton for his Woolen Mills, operated by the Duftons from 1874 to 1919.
John Corrie Stratford-Perth Archives
Huron Street bridge
Huron Street bridge Photo Fred Gonder
The carriage works just north of the Huron Street bridge on the west side of the street, where the entrance to T. J. Dolan Drive is today. Photo: Stratford-Perth Archives
Pridham and Walkom carriage works
House built in 1904 at 49 Huron St. by James and Mary Walkom.
Dutch memorial Photo Fred Gonder
Plaque Photo Fred Gonder
Dutch Memorial Garden
Queen Julianna visits the troops Nancy Musselman
Dutch garden: Photo: Fred Gonder
4275 Huron St.
Jim Anderson Award
Jim Anderson Stratford-Perth Archives
Stratford Perth Museum
The home that became the Stratford Perth Museum was built for Thomas Holliday (1832-1914) who came from Yorkshire, England, to Canada in 1849 at age 17. He moved to Stratford in 1862 and worked with William Worth as a butcher.
In 1867, Holliday bought the Corn Exchange Hotel on Market Square in Stratford. In 1880, he replaced the building with the grand Royal Hotel.
In 1869, Holliday purchased 100 acres on the Huron Road and in the following year built a large buff-brick house to replace the 1854 log house that had burned that year.
Thomas and Mary Holliday raised 10 children on this property, which in 1946 was sold to Wesley Thurston. It is now the site of the Stratford Perth Museum. The museum’s collection building is on the footprint of the Thurston horse barn. That collection dates back to the beginning of the 20th century when the Library Act of 1902 permitted local libraries to collect and display museum collections. Since its incorporation in 1997, the Stratford Perth Museum has been a not-for-profit institution. Source: Stratford-Perth Museum
* The Brooks Steamer is a prize possession of the museum see Ontario Street where it was built.
Kelly McIntosh, General Manager
Kelly McIntosh replaced John Kastner on Nov. 20, 2023
Ms. McIntosh has spent some 30 years in arts and heritage administration, along with a very active theatre performance career. Kelly worked previously at the Museum for four years in the capacity of administrative and membership coordinator, engaging daily with Museum staff, members, key donors, volunteers, students and patrons.
Ms. McIntosh was recently pivotal in the writing and staging of the hit Kroehler Girls stage production,( see Water Street) as well as the previously successful Ladies Of The CNR, which toured southwestern Ontario. Most recently, Kelly has worked as audience development coordinator & artistic associate at Blythe Festival Theatre, with primary responsibilities for donor, sponsor and member relations. Source: Stratford Perth Archives
The Very Best bread company
The TVB Bread Co. at 56 Huron St. Stratford-Perth Archives
The Founding of Stratford plaque:
Photo Fred Gonder
Stratford Hotel, an early Stratford landmark
This view is from the south end of the Huron Street as it is under construction in the 1885. This is an earlier photo from the Perth County Archives still looking north across the Huron Street Bridge being built in 1885. The builder was A. J. Corrie, who also owned the Queen’s Arms Hotel. The Stratford Hotel is on the right and St. Joseph’s Church behind it. The Pridham and Walkom carriage works, on the left, were torn down in the early 1900s, before the above coloured photo was taken, in 1910. Photo: Stratford-Perth Archives.
The Stratford Hotel is seen across from the light-coloured house at the right of the photo, the James Walkom house, built in 1904. The Stratford Hotel is the square three-story building on the corner of Mornington and Huron Streets. Huron Street runs left to right in front of of St. Joseph’s Church. Douglas Street runs on the angle toward the bottom left of the photo from the junction of Huron and Mornington. Photo: Stratford-Perth Archives.
Residence: 153 Huron St.
Bruce Herbert Nickel, RCAF
Notes for Henry IV Part 1 from 1958