220 Hibernia St.
Bea Arthur and Gene Saks
Sharman house history
Cora B. Ahrens Photo: Gord Conroy
Cora B. Ahrens, pianist, author and teacher
Irene Worth in All's Well That Ends Well, 1953
94 Hibernia St.
Irene Worth, actor
Lloyd Dark, Beacon Herald photographer
Residence: 194 Hibernia St. in 1923
Former Stratford mayor, Keith Culliton, outside Stratford city hall. 2014. Photo submitted to Beacon Herald
Keith Culliton, 50 years of community service
The dome was named in honour of former mayor Mayor Keith Culliton, in 2002.
Honour for Mayor Culliton, 2002
There is a plaque to honour Mayor Keith A. Culliton at former Stratford Normal School and teachers college (1908-1973) (see Water Street). The building was repurposed as The Discovery Centre, once housed the Stratford-Perth Museum, and is now leased by the city to the Stratford Festival. The Culliton family asked Dean Robinson to craft the wording for the plaque, and those words are:
The Keith A. Culliton Dome
The dome atop this historical building is named in honour of Keith A. Culliton who has served this community in exemplary fashion.
Through his term as a School Board Trustee, Public Utilities Commissioner, City Councillor and Mayor, he has employed the same focus and commitment that have made him successful in business.
Known for his straightforward manner, his sense of fairness and his optimism, he was also a governor on the board of the Stratford Festival, and a Sapphire Paul Harris Fellow and past president of the Rotary Club of Stratford. Born and raised on a farm in nearby North Easthope Township, Keith Culliton lived his adult life in Stratford where he was able to pursue his passion for business and politics.
On the occasion of his 75th birthday, the dome on The Discovery Centre was dedicated to Mr. Culliton at a ceremony in June 2002 attended by his family and officials of The Discovery Centre. Culliton Brothers Ltd. was pleased to pay that tribute to Mr. Culliton. In addition to lighting the dome and the building, the company that bears his name is also committed to maintaining that illumination. Source: Dean Robinson, Hardly Normal, The Stratford Normal School and Stratford Teachers' College, 1908-1973.
Mayor James Stamp, aldermen and clerk. Stratford Council. 1902. The History of Perth County
Mayor James Stamp was a contractor who lived at 136 Hibernia Street. (See below). He was mayor in 1901-1902, following James Hodd in 1899-1900 and preceding William Hepburn in 1903-1904. William Davidson, sitting second from the right, had been mayor in 1895-1896 and E.K. Barnsdale would be mayor in 1915 to August 1916.
The men in the picture played a major role in town life over many years. E. K. Barnsdale (see Market Square) was a merchant at 27-31 Market Place; Barnsdale's Trading Post was one of the largest stores in the city. Dr. K. H. Eidt (see Cambria Street) was a dentist in the Gordon Block and one of the chief architects of the Stratford Parks System. His office was at 3 Market Square in what is now referred to as Festival Square. The north end of Downie Street was called Market Square at that time, and from his office, he could see on an almost daily basis, the degradation of the Avon River. That kickstarted his interest in rehabilitating both the river and its shoreline park system.
Thomas Savage who lived at 195 Erie Street was the brother-in-law of Elijah Kitchen Barnsdale who died while mayor in 1916. Their wives were sisters. Thomas is reported to have been born in England in 1849 or Chatham where he is buried. He was married in 1890 and died in Stratford in 1917. J. L. Bradshaw (see Bradshaw Drive) had been the undertaker but became a successful merchant as the owner of a china shop that exists today. (see Watson's Chelsea Bazaar Ontario Street)
R. R. Lang was the City Clerk and boarded at the Albion Hotel on Ontario Street. J. Davis Barnett (see Douro Street) lived on Douro and was a draftsman with the Grand Trunk Railway and a great collector of books. James Trow (1847-1924) was a businessman, Trow Brothers, conveyancers and auctioneers at 24 Market Street, living on Cambria, the son of the James Trow (1826-1892) ( see Trow Avenue) who first represented Perth as an MPP and later MP over a 25 year career in politics.
J. D. Hamilton is a tobacconist, at 1 Wellington, who lives at 140 Albert Street. Henry Pauli (1861-1946) lived at 211 Downie while serving as alderman.. William Davidson (1833-1920) was born in Ireland and came to Canada with his parents in 1845 and settled in Fullarton Township. He was married to Elizabeth Cole and lived at 135 Church Street. Davidson was Warden of Fullarton Township from 1875 to 1878 when he resigned to become County Clerk. As mentioned, he was Stratford's mayor in 1895-1896.
William Daly was a contractor who lived on Huron Street. He was born either in Ireland in 1849 or Middlesex County in London. he lived in Ontario some 40 years and died in 1922. He was not connected to J.C. W. Daly who was the first mayor of Stratford from January to August in 1859 or to his son, Thomas M. Daly, mayor in 1869-1870. and again in 1876-1878. Source: Vernon's City Directory Stratford 1900-1902 Stratford-Perth Archives.
Mayor Stamp built this house at 136 Hibernia St.
Mayor James Stamp's house
The first owner of the property (Lot 406), however, was Alexander Grant, an attorney and mayor of the Town of Stratford (1879-1880). Stratford became a city in 1885.
Flight Lt. John Adair Woodward
Residence: 218 Hibernia St.