Cambria is a Roman name for Wales, and is often used to describe Wales in the poetic sense.
George W. Byers of London England arrived in Stratford in 1856 and established himself in the stove and tinware business on Erie Street. One of his friends was an early Stratford builder and land developer who bought a tract of 18 acres bounded by Birmingham, St. David, St. Vincent and Cambria streets. He said the name of Cambria Street was in honour of Mrs. Byer's wife, who was from Wales. Mrs. Byres died in 1874, and Mr. Byers drowned while swimming in the Avon River. By: Stanford Dingman
Bruce Stapleton, war artist
227 Cambria St. Photo Fred Gonder
James Macdonald , owner of the Macdonald Manufacturing Co. at 342 Erie St. (see Erie Street), lived here 227 Cambria St.
Architectural style: Gothic Revival Architectural description: two-story yellow brick with gable roof and three Gothic Revival gables that have elaborate barge board trim with finials at the peak of the each roof. First floor centre projection with large brick arch with door and segmentally arched side lights. Transom has three window, large segmentally arched window with brick voussoirs and six panes on either side of the entrance. There is the outline of a former verandah roof for a porch that was across the front of the house. On the second floor are two narrow segmentally arched three-paned windows in the centre gable, and an eight- paned segmentally arched window is in each of the other gables. Source: Stratford Heritage Properties
220 Cambria St.
The Trow house
David Gunn Baxter, architect
271 Cambia St.
Dr. Edward Henry Eidt, grandfather of the Stratford park system
Wilfred R. Eidt
Wilfred Eidt was the son of Dr. Edward Henry Eidt. Wilfred signed his attestation papers to volunteer for service in the First World War on Nov. 30, 1916. He was 19 years old when he enlisted with 64th Battey and trained in Guelph. After a month of training in England, he went to France and was a gunner in the siege artillery. He fought in Passchendaele and was killed in action on Oct. 18, 1917. He is buried in the Bully Grenay Communal Cemetery at Pas de Calais, France. Source: Stratford-Perth Archives
dame Maggie Smith
Dame Maggie Smith
While performing for four seasons at the Stratford Festival, Maggie Smith lived at 220 Cambria St., on the northeast corner of the Cambria and Shrewsbury street intersection.
She was already an Oscar-winning star when Robin Phillips invited her to join the company in 1976, her last in 1980.
In Stratford, Dame Maggie gave some of the most memorable performances in the Festival’s history, including Cleopatra in Antony and Cleopatra, Rosalind in As You Like It, Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing, Mistress Overdone in Measure for Measure, Queen Elizabeth in Richard III, Titania/Hippolyta in A Midsummer Night’s Dream and Lady Macbeth. For a list of her performances see Shakespeare in Performance.
She was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 1970 New Year Honours, and was raised to Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) for services to the performing arts.
A six-time Academy Award nominee, Smith won for best actress for her portrayal of an idealistic, unorthodox schoolteacher in the 1969 film The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, and for best supporting actress for her performance in the 1978 film California Suite: Source: Wikipedia
Dr. David Smith, pictured here at age 89, of 175 Cambria Street was the second president of the Stratford Rotary Club and a founding member of the Ontario Society for Crippled Children. Source: Dean Robinson's A Century of Service, The Rotary Club of Stratford, 1922-2022, from Stratford Beacon Herald/Perth Archives.
Dr. David Smith, outstanding Stratford citizen
Dr. David Smith (1873-1966) was regarded as the dean of the medical profession in the Stratford area, and an outstanding resident of the city according to the Stratford Beacon Herald tribute on Aug. 15, 1966, upon his death at age 93 in Stratford General Hospital.
Dr. Smith lived in Stratford for more than 60 years. He was described as a person devoted to others who were "less fortunate than himself." A lifelong Rotarian, he was one of the founders of the Rotary Club of Stratford in 1922 (see McCarthy Road), and a man who indeed lived the Rotary Club motto of "Service above self" throughout his life.
He was also one of the founders of the Ontario Society of Crippled Children in 1922 (now Easter Seals Ontario) and had an enormous impact on many, including the young Robert Bruce Salter, later a distinguished doctor, professor at the University of Toronto, and senior orthopedic surgeon at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. (see Front Street).
When a seemingly routine delivery required a caesarian section, Smith saved the lives of Salter, his unexpected fraternal brother and their mother. Young Salter, who grew up in Stratford, was mentored by Dr. Smith. They remained lifelong friends, and in 1992, Salter expressed a public reflection his indebtedness to Dr. Smith:
"The only way I can ever repay such indebtedness [to Dr. David Smith] is to be a mentor to others, something I have tried to do over the last 35 years as an academic orthopedic surgeon, scientist, teacher and administrator."
Dean Robinson has included A tribute to Doctor Dave by Dr. Robert B. Salter in his Rotary club history, A Century of Service: The Rotary Club of Stratford 1922-2022, as well as additional research, photos and information about Smith's lifelong service to his community.(see Front Street).
Smith grew up on a farm in West Zorra Township and was an elementary teacher for four years before enrolling at the University of Toronto medical school. He graduated in 1902, worked first in Muskoka and Thamesford, then did post graduate work in England in 1904 before coming to Stratford. In 1905, he bought the practice of Dr. J. D. Monteith, who was about to start a world tour, and took over his office in the Metropolitan Block.
Dr. Smith made house calls. That was the way of doctors in those days. He was still practising into the 1940s and delivering babies including me, Gordon Conroy, in 1943. Dr. Hugh Thompson, also a Rotarian, took over Dr. Smith's practice and home at 104 Brunswick St., and continued the dedicated service and the house calls of his mentor. The waiting room and offices were in the west side at 104 Brunswick, the doctor's residence on the right or east side of the house.
Dr. Smith later lived, in retirement, at 175 Cambria St. In 1927, he had married Sarah Isobel Mickle (1893-1992); they had no children. He was honoured for his services by both the Rotary Club of Stratford and the Ontario Society for Crippled Children. Sources: Dean Robinson's A Century of Service: The Rotary Club of Stratford 1922-2022; also, "A Tribute to Doctor Dave" by Dr. Robert B. Salter, presented in its entirety in Dean Robinson's Rotary history book; Stratford-Perth Archives.
* The office and home of Dr. Smith at 104 Bruswick St. is now part of a B and B called The Three Houses.
Dr. David Smith (left) of the Rotary Club of Stratford receives a citation for outstanding service from Clyde Heamon, president, Ontario Society for Crippled Children. Source: Dean Robinson's A Century of Service, The Rotary Club of Stratford 1922-2022, from the Stratford-Perth Archives.
Dr. David Smith's home later in life, at 175 Cambria St. built by Thomas Ballantyne Jr., 1921. (see below).
Thomas Ballantyne Jr., cheese merchant and city treasurer
Thomas Ballantyne Jr., ( 1863-1938), cheese merchant and City of Stratford treasurer, was the son of the Honourable Thomas and Mary Ballantyne. (see Ballantyne Avenue). His brother ran Ballantyne Knit. (see Ballantyne Avenue)
Thomas Jr. moved to Stratford with his parents from the family farm in Downie Township at the age of ten. He entered the family cheese business in 1881 at the age of 18. Thomas Sr., his father, had bought the cheese business in 1868 and even after his father's death in 1908, Thomas Jr. continued to run Thomas Ballantyne and Sons until he sold the business in 1925. Thomas Jr. then was appointed City Treasurer.
Thomas Junior's life of involvement in the city and community started more than a quarter century before his appointment as City Treasurer. Thomas Jr. was first elected a member of the City Council in 1897. He served on ten city councils and was a member of nearly every committee of the council. He was a member of the Public School Board for eight years and of the Collegiate Institute Board for one year. He was the prime mover in the building of Avon and Juliet Schools.
The photo on the left is taken from the photo of the 1933 Stratford City Council. It was posted on If you grew up in Stratford ...FB.
The house at 175 Cambria Street was built by Elizabeth (1861-1946) and Thomas Ballantyne Junior (1863-1938) in 1921 on a lot that was severed from the property owned by Thomas Newton, blacksmith, whose house was built in 1910 at 179 Cambria Street.
Elizabeth was also deeply involved with civic responsibilities. She was one of the first members of the Stratford Women’s Hospital Aid and a member of the Ontario Hospital Aids Association. She was also a member of the Stratford Old Age Pensions and Mothers’ Allowance Board. During both world wars she was a working supporter of the Red Cross Society. For twenty five years she was on the board of the Perth County Children’s Aid Society. She was also on the board of the Victorian Order of Nurses. Elizabeth was also a member of the Women’s Canadian Club. She was very active in St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, filling many offices in women’s organizations of the church. Elizabeth was also a gifted pianist, being prominent in Stratford musical circles. She was a strong supporter of the Stratford Musical Festival.
Elizabeth and Thomas Junior had three children: Margaret “Margery” Clarke who died in early childhood; Thomas Whitson, who became a medical doctor and lived in Woodstock; and Emma Kent, who married Stratford-born Ralph Chandler and moved to Port Arthur (Thunder Bay).
Ballantyne and Sons, cheese merchants, were in business at 2 Ontario Street before 1900. Here on York Street, at the rear of 2 Ontario Street, cheese is being loaded. The Court House is visible to the right of the photo. Photo by W. J. Allan, photographer, in 1900. For further history of the building and the businesses, and the family, see Ontario Street and Ballantyne Avenue. Photo: Dave Schulthies from If you grew up in Stratford FB.
Home of John Andrew. 174 Cambria Street. Built 1922.
John A. Andrew, merchant and mayor
John Alexander Andrew was born in Scotland on January 7, 1864. He was the son of William Andrew and Elizabeth Adam and would not come to Canada until he was in his twenties about 1890 and would not arrive in Stratford until a decade later in 1900 after he was married. He gradually succeeded in business and later later became involved in civic life. Andrew was mayor of Stratford in 1928 and 1929, at the end of the good times and the beginning of the Great Depression after the stock market crash on Black Friday.