Federick, Duke of York
The grand old Duke of York
York Street and York Lane run behind the buildings fronting Ontario Street from behind the courthouse to the back door of Tango Bistro and Mercer Inn.
R. Thomas Orr Dam
R. Thomas Orr Dam Photos by Fred Gonder
The old boathouse
Stratford's original boathouse was built by the parks board in 1913, on the north side of the Avon River, just above the dam. In part, it was designed to help deflate the Canadian Pacific Railway's intent to run a tracks along the north shore of the Avon.
In the summer of 1965 Ed Herr and Bruce Holmes leased the city's boat house . They were not going for that kind of venture but they were interested in securing more on-water training for their sea cadets. Edd and Jack signed a five-year lease calling them topay the parks board $825 a year. They also got $500 from the park board for purchase of three paddle boats and 14 canoes. Thus, H and H boats became Stratford' newest business. At their own expense they painted and renovated the boathouse. Source: text and pictures Dean Robinson's book 42 Wellington,The music and the memories
Located near the boat house
Boathouse, 30 York St., lower level Fred Gonder
Plaque reads: Site of the first mill built by the Canada Company 1832. operated by water power. Erected 1932 Photo by Fred Gonder
Pergola Photo Fred Gonder
Washing away Photo Bob Meldrum
Remembrance by by Nancy Musselman
In the big flood of 1937 the water reached as high as Falstaff school and swept the pergola away. My grandfather Milton Scott used the Pergola columns he pulled from the river at the old grove to hold up the veranda on his house on West Gore Street. He used the other lumber he found to build raised beds for his pigs in the barn. Their farm was 589 West Gore St. where all the new subdivison was built.
In the late 1930s, near the site of the Thomas Orr Dam, a touch of Greek architecture provided an interesting contrast to its natural surroundings on the banks of the Avon River. The pergola graced this scene for only a few years before it was lost in the flood of 1937. The couple posing in the foreground show evidence of the strong presence of the sport of tennis in 1930's Stratford.
Art and text by Rick Thistle