Edward , Duke of Kent
Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld
Kent Lane is named for Edward, the Duke of Kent, father of Queen Victoria. Two streets were laid out as part of a plan developed with the coming of the railway in 1856 and was named by J .J. E. Linton (see Linton Avenue).
On the opposite side of Kent Lane is Cobourg Lane and the two lanes were named as a pair by John Linton who was a native of Perthshire, in Scotland, one of Queen Victoria's favorite haunts.
Both lanes are narrower than the regular 60-foot width required for a street, thus the designation lane was used. They were laid out in anticipation of the railroad and building lots were much sought after by railwaymen. They could hop off the train right into their yard.
The two lanes were named after the parents of Queen Victoria, who had been the reigning monarch since ascending the throne in 1837.
Edward was a most reluctant husband because at the age of 51, and for more than 23 years, he had been enjoying a full domestic life with his mistress, Madame Julie-Laurent.
Part of their life together had been spent in army quarters in Canada. Their love nest had been quite secure, but now Edward was determined to do his duty as a Royal duke and enter a patriotic marriage.
The names Cobourg, Kent and Victoria form a Royal triumvirate in the Linton survey. By: Stanford Dingman