Though it was not yet named, the street now known as Huntingd0n Avenue appeared on the 1857 map of Stratford as the western boundary of the village. It ran through the John Sharman survey and also gave access to the Sharman farm, part of which became part of Stratford's agricultural grounds. The Briarhill subdivision, immediately west of those grounds, was also part of the original 100-acre Sharman farm.
Huntington Avenue was named for the town of Huntingdon in Huntingdonshire, England. In that country, it is due north of London, bordered by Bedfordshire on the west and Cambridgeshire on the east. It was probably John Sharman who named Huntingdon Avenue in Stratford. He and his family emigrated from Telford, Bedfordshire, England, and arrived in Stratford on July 10, 1834. He was the first blacksmith in the fledgling village, and destined to become an important member of the community.
Arriving in Stratford with about 100 pounds, he bought a lot on the west side of Huron Street, just over the bridge, where he opened his blacksmith shop. His services were immediately in demand, and he soon made enough money to build the Stratford Hotel which stood at the corner of Huron and Mornington streets.