Hamilton Street is on the original 1834 Canada Company map but did not appear again until later. Hamilton Street was named for Stratford's major early land developer, Col. William Frederick McCulloch (1813-1870) in honour of his wife Elizabeth Hamilton (1812-1894). Irish aristocrats, they came to Canada in 1842 with five children and considerable money. They had at least another eight children in Canada.
They settled on Lot 46, Concession 2, in North Easthope Township, a lot that was annexed to Stratford when it became a town in 1859.
William McCulloch was the settlement's reeve in 1854 and 1855. He was also the Town of Stratford's second mayor, in 1860 and 1862.
In areas of the town he developed, he named a few streets after family members, Elizabeth and Hamilton streets among them, in honour of his wife and eldest daughter.
The McCullochs were members of the Church of England, and played a significant role in the founding of St.James Church beside Hamilton Street. By Stanford Dingman
The Lizars' house at 11 Hamilton St.