Haig Street was named for Douglas Haig, 1st Earl (1861-1928), British Field Marshal and commander-in-chief of the British forces in France during most of the First World War (1914-1918). Born in Edinburgh, he attended the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst and he served in the Nile campaign (1898) in the South African War.
Col. Delamere (see Delemere Avenue) was also in South Africa as a young soldier, but probably didn't know anything about Haig at the time. However, when Delamere was wounded in France in 1915, Haig was commander of the 1st Army, and later commanded the British Expeditionary Force in France. It was natural that Delamere might want to honour General Haig by naming a street after him. At the end of 1916, King George V announced Haig's promotion to field marshall, and the former British war minister, Lord Haldane, told Haig he was almost the only British military leader with the power of thinking.
When General Philippe Pétain succeeded to the French command, he appealed to Haig to bear the brunt of the fighting while the French army was reorganized. The bitter fighting of Passchendaele was the result, in 1917, and the 18th Battalion (which forms part of the fighting history of the 28th Perth Regiment) was in action in November in the muddy horror of Passchendaele. By: Stanford Dingman