Tom Douglas, Earl of Selkirk
Mill Street (upper right, now Douglas Street) was named for Scrimgeour Bros. Planing Mill
151 Douglas St. Photo Fred Gonder
Jean Gascon Toronto Public Library
Jean Gascon (1968-74)
Robin Philips (1975-80)
John Hirsch (1981-85)
Stratford's noble Moor, Howard Rollins
In 1987, Howard Rollins played Othello at the Stratford Festival (See Cast).
He was an American stage, film, and television actor best known for his role as Andrew Young in 1978's King; George Haley in the 1979 miniseries Roots: The Next Generations; Coalhouse Walker Jr. in the 1981 film Ragtime; Captain Davenport in the 1984 film A Soldier's Story; and as Virgil Tibbs on the TV crime drama In the Heat of the Night. Source: Wikipedia
Howard Rollins as Othello and Colm Feore as Iago in Othello, 1987. Photo by Michael Cooper . . . FB
Rideau Hall Rebels. Early Pioneer Hockey Team. 1894.
In the photo below, c1890, team captain, Judge Barron, is seated center right with the sticks around his head. James Creighton is seated third from left. The sons of Lord Stanley were involved with the Rideau Hall Rebels who display their Mic-Mac hockey sticks. Source: Rideau Hall Rebels - Ice Hockey Stick Fun - 1889 | HockeyGods
Fun with Hockey Sticks. c.1889. Rideau Hall Rebels.
John Augustus Barron...Hockey Pioneer and Judge - 159 Douglas
John Augustus Barron (1850-1936) was a politician, lawyer, author and judge who lived much of his later life in Stratford and served as Member of Parliament and Judge in Perth County. He served as judge from 1897 until his retirement in 1925. He died in 1930.
Barron was also one of the early pioneers of the game of hockey. He captained the famous Rideau Hall Rebels (See Rideau Hall Rebels - Wikipedia) who promoted the game by touring and playing exhibition games.
Barron also lived for some time at 159 Douglas Street. See below for a Then and Now feature.
Barron Street is named in his honour. (see Barron Street). Added details of Barron's legal and political life life as well as her work as an author are available there. This entry will highlight his role in the early days of hockey.
The Rideau Hall Rebels or, by its full name, the Vice-Regal and Parliamentary Hockey Club was one of the first ice hockey teams in Canada. The team was based out of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and named after Rideau Hall, our Canadian governmental building, the residence of the Governor General. This team introduced ice hockey to then Canadian Governor General Lord Stanley, who would later donate the Stanley Cup championship trophy.
Organized by James Creighton in 1884, and captained by John Augustus Barron, the team consisted of young Canadian parliamentarians and government 'aides-de camp' including Mr. Creighton and Edward and Arthur Stanley, sons of Lord Stanley. This group of players would travel to matches around Ontario in the Governor-General's private rail-car.
Between 1890 and 1891, during the first two years of the Ontario Hockey Association (OHA), Barron acted as a vice-president of the league. When the OHA was founded on November 27, 1890, at the Queen's Hotel in Toronto, Barron was chairman of the meeting.
Early Hockey and Fighting. Those who know about hockey wonder if fighting was always part of the game. Here is an excerpt from an article from Hockey News about the early days of the Rideau Hall Rebels and fighting.
"It’s fair to say that, for as long as the sport has existed, there’s been a connection between hockey and fighting. Indeed, the first indoor hockey game ever played – March 13, 1875, in Montreal – was followed by fisticuffs between players and spectators and others who wanted to use the arena for skating.
"And although there’s been no shortage of critics who decried it right from the start, fighting has, for better or worse, helped shape the destiny of the game from its earliest days.
159 Douglas Street 1902.
159 Douglas Street. 2023.
The house at 159 Douglas Street is on the City of Stratford Municipal Heritage Register Non-Designated Properties list. It is described as built in the Queen Anne style. It is a two storey red brick house with segmentally and semicircular arched windows with brick voussoirs and stone sills. The house features a front porch with horseshoe shaped arches reminiscent of the original porch. It also features decorative wooden brackets supporting the eaves; and a front facing gable with vergeboard and a small square window below its peak. Source: Final-City-of-Stratfords-non-designated-properties
154 Douglas Street. Built 1911 by Moses Schlotzhauer.
252 Ontario Street, below. This home was owned by Moses and Mable Schlotzhauer after the sale of Douglas Street until Mrs. Schlotzhauer sold it to T. G. Whiteside and his wife Leila in 1951.