White Street is named for Herschel (Bill) White, a founding partner of Moffat and White Construction
White Street is part of a small subdivision laid out in by Moffat and White Construction Ltd. in the 1950s. It is named for one of the partners in the firm, Herschel (Bill) White (1903-1979).
Moffat Street was also planned and named for the other partner, Walter Leslie Moffat (1919-1978), but it never opened. The firm was started in 1951 to meet the post-war demand for new homes.
White was a furniture finisher at the Stratford Chair Co. and Moffat was with G. L Griffith and Son Ltd., rubber manufacturers (now Standard Products) (see Griffith Road). The two men worked together in the evenings and built their first house on Jones Street. They wanted to see how they fared with that house before quitting their day jobs and rolling out "Moffatt and White" on a full-time basis.
Moffatt died in 1978, and White in 1979, but the company they started has carried on. Source: Streets of Stratford, 2004.