GTR repair shops Stratford-Perth Archives
In a survey laid out by William Mackenzie, a land developer from Guelph, Stratford Street came into existence in 1853 in the anticipation of a railway boom.
Mackenzie knew the Grand Trunk Railway was due to arrive in Stratford in 1856. He also seemed to know where the tracks would run, and bought some prime adjacent land. One of his developments was across the street from the railway, and another was south of the rail line that ran west to Goderich. Stratford Street runs at right angles to the tracks from St. David Street to Cambria Street.
Stratford Street first appeared on the 1857 map and Mackenzie couldn't go wrong in choosing the name of the village for one of his streets. He had already chosen Shakespeare Street for the station site. The names Stratford and Avon were all intertwined, all associated with the founding of the community.
* See Introduction to Streets of Stratford by Stan Dingman