Sometime after 1904, William Keane moved into a frame house at 48 North St. It was torn down and replaced by a two-storey brick house renumbered as 46 (early 80s?. ) Ted Keane and Shirley Keane were born in the house at 52 North Street. The picture of Ted’s booth (below) is where the driveway of 40 North Street is where The street was apparently informally known as Keane Hill.
Three of the four houses on the west side of North Street were built by Keanes. When the Classic City Arena Co. was organized in 1924, the private stock company bought the land for the arena from Mary (Mrs. William) Keane.
William Keane's son, Armour, took over the operation of the icehouse. Like his dad, he was nicknamed "Icy Keane." Armour Keane had a collection of waterfowl (and many other animals) on the property between North Street and Morenz Dr. He was the "keeper of the swans" before Robert Miller (see Lakeside Drive ).
His brother Ross Keane was associate editor of the Beacon-Herald. Many people will remember the refreshment booth operated by Ted Keane at his home on North Street (see below). That was in the days when a bottle of pop cost five cents. By Stanford Dingman Additional information from Stratford & District Historical Society and Rosemary Stewart
* For more about the Ice Business go to Flashback - The Ice Business