Portrait John Milton, about 1629
14 Milton St.
106-114 Milton St.
Ruston planing mill
The T. M. Ruston and Co. planing mill (106-114 Milton St.) was built in 1906. Under manager and Stratford contractor, Thomas Mitchell Ruston, the company employed about 20 woodworkers and assistants, and manufactured all kinds of finished lumber, sashes, doors, blinds, lath shingles, every description of interior finishes and all that was required for the erection of the modern house or business block. Local architect James R. Russell (see Russell Road) designed the Ruston building.
According to newspaperman and historian Tom Dolan, in 1908, George and Henry Kalbfleisch (see Erie Street) bought the mill used by the Ruston company, and their brother, Emil Kalbfleisch, managed it. The mill was expanded in 1914. It ceased operations in 1971, after Emil’s son and successor, Karl Kalbfleisch died. A little more than two years later the building was demolished. Source: Stratford History . . . FB
Thomas Mitchell Ruston
Thomas Mitchell Ruston was born in 1860, the second son of 11 children. His parents, Francis Ruston, who had emigrated from Yorkshire, England, and Margaret Ramsey, farmed in Ellice Township, Perth County.
34 Birmingham St.
86 Milton St.
First house near the railway station
This camper-trailer was known as the Stratford Trailer. It was manufactured by Kalbfleisch Bros. Ltd. (see St. Patrick Street) in their planing mill at 114 Milton St. Described as a "motor camp trailer," it featured almost all the amenities of home necessary for a weekend outing. It was advertised as a "summer cottage on wheels."
1914-1918 Cadillac closed coupe with a motor camp trailer Photo Vince Gratton