McCann Drive is named for the McCann Construction Co.

McCann Construction Co. Stratford-Perth Archives

McCann Construction Co.

McCann Drive is named for the McCann construction company, which developed a subdivision near the northwest boundary of the city in the mid-1980s.

The company was formed in 1952 as Yundt and McCann, with Patrick McCann as president and Goldwin Yundt as vice-president. Their original shop was at 1172 Erie St., south of the city, where Canadian Fabricated Products Ltd., was later located. In 1954, the first part of the Yundt-MCann gravel business was started on part of Lot 8, Concession 3, in Ellice Township.

The gravel operation was expanded regularly until, by 1965, the company also owned all of Lot 9. In 1969 its first shop, near the south end of the property, was closed in favour of new quarters on Concession 3. In the 1970s company was a major builder of provincial roads, but a downturn in government contracts forced the discontinuation of that work in 1981. In 1984, the company was re-organized as McCann Construction Co., under the leadership of Gary and Jim McCann. Source: Streets of Stratford 2004