Marquis of Lorne
A handsome pair
ANAF 151 Lorne Ave. East
The Rotary Club of Stratford was chartered May 30, 1922 with twenty-two members. Stratford was club number 1197 in the 17-year old Rotary International organization. The first president was D.M. Wright (1922-1924), followed by Dr. David Smith (1924-25). The Club’s first project was to purchase memberships in the Young Men’s Christian Association for a pair of young, needy brothers. The second was to establish a fund for assisting the poor. They decided also to help the YMCA by purchasing a movie projector for use by the program staff.
By its 25th anniversary in 1947, the Club had grown to 88 members. At its golden anniversary in 1972, the district governor in attendance was Oliver Gaffney. The last surviving charter member, Morgan Riddell, was also present.
Over the years, membership grew to as many as 140 members and the variety of projects supported has shifted from the original focus on crippled children and boys’ work to constructing local recreational and healthcare facilities and supporting international community development and clean water projects. The Club met for many years at the YMCA before moving to the Kiwanis Centre in 1982, and then to its current location, the ANAF building, in 2018. Women began joining the Club in 1996. Source: Rotary Club
A Century of Service The Rotary Club of Stratford 1922 -2022.
This book by Dean Robinson celebrates the legacy of Rotary members who have invested in their community and communities around the world. From the work with Respite House and worldwide Polio vaccination to the Dragon Boat Festival and the ever-popular Evening of Scotch Mist