Horner Street (nominated for a street name)
Horner Street is named for Samuel H. Horner, saddler for the NWMP
From the time the North West Mounted Police service was established, Samuel H. Horner was its lone saddle-maker. He was in the regular service from 1875 to 1890 and for many years thereafter worked fore the NWMP under contract. He retired in Stratford, where his grave was specially recognized by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police on May 6, 2004. Source: City of Stratford
Horner was the Force's Saddler with the rank of Staff Sergeant from 1875 to 1890. He was easily recognizable around the barracks in Regina by his huge, unkempt black beard.
A key figure of the time in keeping the horses equipped for patrol work was the force's saddler major in Regina, who oversaw the repair and maintenance of all saddlery. For years, the police had had difficulties obtaining suitable harness, head collars, bridles and other saddlery accessories. Herchmer suggested the problem might be solved if in future the force made its own. "We have the required skill," he informed the deputy minister, "in the person of saddler major Horner, ‘a mechanic second to no tradesman in the Dominion.' All we need to carry out the job," he continued, "was a few good stitchers and the leather to do the work." Of course, he added, "It would be a saving to the public purse." Ottawa agreed, and by 1889 the commissioner was able to report that the soldiers were producing all the martingales, pole straps, hopples, reins, head collars, halters, side straps and even sword and cross belts, holsters and bandoliers that were needed.