Gemmell Court

Gemmell Court is named after Dr. William Gemmell

Dr. David Gemmell Stratford- Perth Archives

Dr. William Thomas Gemmell (1875-1942) was a family physician from 1903 to 1942. He began his practice in Wheatley. Before coming to Stratford, he and his wife Mary had two sons, Thomas Woods Gemmell (1904-1910), who died of diphtheria; and Albert (1906-1906), who died in his birth year. Shortly before Albert's birth, the family had moved to 33 Erie St. in Stratford, where they lived and where he had his office.    

Another son, David, was born in 1908, by which time the Gemmells were living at 72 Erie St. David became a doctor and began working with his father in 1938. After his dad's death in 1942, David took over the Gemmell practice and also his dad's role as county coroner. From Erie Street, the family moved residence and office to 95 Waterloo St. S.

Dr. William Thomas Gemmell enjoyed fishing and hunting, and was an avid photographer and gardener. He was a member of Romeo Lodge No. 164, the International Order of Foresters (IOOF), and the Sons of Scotland. He died in Stratford General Hospital on Sept. 9, 1942.

Dr. David Gemmell, 1966 Stratford-Perth Archives

David Gemmell (1908-1982) graduated from the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1934. He practised in Stratford for 43 years. While he worked out of the family's Waterloo Street office, he and his wife , Velma, lived at 176 Elizabeth St.

Dr. David Gemmell was the Perth County coroner from 1961 to 1978. A man of independent thought, he never joined the Ontario Health Insurance Plan, dispensed his own drugs, saw patients without appointments, and never became rich because he spent more time with fewer patients. 

He was an avid model railroader and, after a stroke, took up lapidary and stone polishing. He was 74 when he died after a fall from a tractor on his St. Marys-area farm. Sources: Stratford-Perth Archives, Stratford Beacon-Herald, June 1, 1951; Feb. 12, 1966; Jan. 8, 1982; and Oct. 20, 1982. 

The Dr. William Thomas Gemmell family. Source: Stratford and District Historical Society 

For many years, Dr. William Thomas Gemmell (1875-1942) a physician, had his home and office at 95 Waterloo Street S. The house was beside the Congregational Church (67 Brunswick St.), whose north wall is the backdrop for this Gemmell family photo. Dr. Gemmerll is the white-haired man in the vest. The lawn swings were manufactured by the Stratford Manufacturing Co. Ltd. Date of the photo is thought to be between 1910 and 1920. The church has been transformed a few times, and today is the Revival House Restaurant. Source: Vince Gratton