Greenwood Drive

Greenwood Drive is named in honour of Chalmers Napier Greenwood

Chalmers Napier Greenwood was the mayor of Stratford in 1913 and oversaw one of the most important decisions in the city's history.

With the Grand Trunk Railway long established in the city, the Canadian Pacific Railway was anxious to include Stratford in its system. The CPR proposed a railway along the north bank of the Avon River, and later another on the south side.  The CPR line was to come in at the east end of Lower Queens Park, and run along the river below where the Festival Theatre is now. There was also be a spur line to serve factories in the southeast part of the city. The freight shed and sidings were to be in the area now occupied by William Allman Arena.  The Waterloo Street bridge and roadway were to be raised 15 feet and Huron Street 14 feet, to allow trains to pass beneath.

A citizens committee worked hard to preserve the people’s parkland, and when the issue was decided on March 10, 1913, the committee won the day, with 1,063 against the CPR proposal, and 936 votes for  it. Parkland trumped Pacific.

Residence: 336 Ontario St.   Now the Avery Inn Next Door 2023

Greenwood came to Stratford in 1903 as the secretary-treasurer of the Hepburn House Furniture Co. at 242 Ontario St.  Vernon directory also shows him as President of the Stratford Bed Company in 1920 . In 1924 he bought the Arlington Hotel at 46 Erie St. and, after extensive renovations, established the city's first funeral home , Greenwoods Funeral Home

He was also president of the lawn bowling club and a prime mover in building the Classic City Arena (since renamed the William Allman Arena) in the 1920s.  At that time he lived on 336 Ontario Street Source: Streets of Stratford 2004