Evolution of Downie Street 

Take a scroll to see how Downie Street evolved.

Downie Street takes its name from Robert Downie,a  director of the Canada Company.  On an 1829 survey map of the Stratford area, Downie Street was show as "Appin."  It was probable that Canada Company founder John Galt chose this name in honour of his friend, "Mr. Downie of Appin." but soon disappeared. Downie is one of the oldest streets in Stratford and was first named Downie Road on the 1839  map.   The first block of Downie, from Ontario to Albert and Wellington, became known as Market Street because it led to the new market. The name stuck until about 1908, when it again became part of Downie Street because of confusion with Market Place.  

1870    Photo: Vince Gratton

1905   Photo: Vince Gratton 

1905    Photo: Vince Gratton 

1906    Photo: Vince Gratton 

1906   Photo: Vince Gratton

    1906      Market Place changed to Downie Street     Photo: Nancy Musselman

1910  Photo: Vince Gratton 

1910  Whyte Packing Co, Northwest corner of Wellington and Downie Street   Photo: Vince Gratton  

1912     City Hall ,   Commercial Hotel  corner of  Brunswick and Downie Street, South side  Photo: Nancy Musselman

1912    Photo: Vince Gratton 

1913       Photo: Vince Gratton

1913        Photo: Vince Gratton

1913   Photo: Vince Gratton

1914   Photo: Vince Gratton

 1929             Kresge under construction.    Duggans to the right with square capola       Photo:   Bettie Petrie de Vos


1940    East side:    United  Cigar Store next to Bank of Nova Scotia ,  bearly visable   Tamblyn Drug Store , West side: F. Steel optomitrist. Shapiros     Photo: Nancy Musselman

 1952        Photo: Nancy Musselman

1952       Photo: Vince Gratton

1953      Royal Bank, brown building  ,  Woolworths on the corner   Photo: Doug Jasper

1960    Photo: Vince Gratton 

1961    Pirates of Penzance staring Eric House       Photo: Vince Gratton

1964   Photo: Vince Gratton 

1987        Photo: Vince Gratton