Crehan Crescent is named for Dr. William (Bill) Henry Killeavy Crehan, who was born in Wallacetown, Ont., in 1890. He entered the teaching profession to earn enough money for his medical training. When the First World War interfered with that plan, he served as a lieutenant with the Royal Field Artillery in France. He graduated in medicine from the University of Toronto in 1921, and came to Stratford to practise with Dr. George R. Deacon (see Deacon Street). He eventually opened his own office, and 16 Wellington St., where he became one of the most popular family physicians in the city.
He was well known for the close attention he paid to his patients. He also was prepared at all times to hasten to the bedside of a person requiring his services, day or night. He practised medicine at a time when house calls were most popular and, with the coming of automobiles, a doctor could answer such a call in more timely fashion. Dr. Crehan presented many courses and lectures in first aid, and for the care of the sick, and and the time of his death, in January 1940, was involved in classes sponsored by the St. John Ambulance organization.
His wife Marjorie (C. Collins), died in April 1973, 17 days short of her 78th birthday. They had married in 1923.