Crane Avenue runs off Erie Street as the entrance to the only building on the street, Crane Canada Inc. for which it is named. The Crane name originates with Richard Teller Crane (1832-1912), founder of the U.S. parent company in Chicago.
The Stratford Crane plant and Crane Avenue were built in 1961-62 and the plant officially opened in September 1962 by the Hon. J. Waldo Monteith of Stratford, who was then the member of Parliament for Perth County, and the minister of national health and welfare in the John Diefenbaker government.
Built as the Crane Steelware Stratford Division, the plant originally manufactured porcelain-enamelled steel plumbing fixtures, bathtubs, lavatories and laundry sinks. Eventually, the manufacture of acrylic-faced fibreglass reinforced plastic baths, shower stalls, whirlpool baths, sunken baths and bar sinks became part of the Stratford operation's product line.