A river bank
Braemar Crescent was built in the late 1970s and named for the Braemer district in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
At an elevation of 600 to 1,000 feet above sea level, the Scottish district is known for its pure and bracing air and the deer forests of the Royal Balmoral estate.
The name Braemar originates from the word Brae, which means river bank, and Mar, which comes from the Earl of Mar who raised the Jacobite standard on the site in 1715.
A new castle, built at Braemar in 1720, was later acquired by the Farquharsons, who gave the government use of it during the Battle of Culloden. Railwayman Cyrus (Cy) Farquharson of Stratford, was a direct descendant of the Farquharsons who fought at the battle of Culloden. There was also a long-serving furniture factory at the northwest corner of Romeo and Douro streets, called Farquharson-Gifford Co. It was started in 1913 by two city residents, Charles Farquharson and Frank M. Gifford. Farquharson was the company president, Gifford the secretary-treasurer.
There were many pioneers who came from the Braemar area to settle in Stratford and Perth County. By Stanford Dingman