Alexander Gough (Sandy) Walsh was the well respected Stratford parks superintendent for 38 years, from 1916 until his death in 1954. Born in Stratford in 1888, he attended St. Joseph's Separate School and Stratford Collegiate Institute.
Sandy worked for his father until hiring on with the city's parks department. He gave unstintingly of his time in developing the park system, through which he came to be known by a host of people in Stratford and area. For three years, he also managed the Classic City Arena. He was an authority on horses and frequently judged at shows and fairs.
He was not the first member of his family to be associated with the park system. His father, Joseph, had been an early member of the board of park management, established in 1904, and an uncle, Joseph Walsh Jr. (1893-1933), was involved as well. Joseph was a partner in the family business, Walsh Brothers, who were grocery (wholesale and retail) and liquor merchants. Sandy later became a partner, as well.
The family house was the pillared mansion at 265 St. David St., a property that stretched from Birmingham Street to Shrewsbury Street. It came to be called "the white house." Sandy Walsh lived around the corner at 27 Shrewsbury St.
Because of his father's interest in the parks board ,and the care he took to maintain and beautify his own sizeable grounds, Sandy took naturally to service with the parks board. As superintendent, he devoted almost 40 years to the development, care, improvement and protection of Stratford's park system.